About this Episode
Today’s Quick Tips episode will focus on a strategy for post-tidy maintenance we call KonMari Lite.
The beauty of Marie Kondo’s Method is your KonMari tidying event, when executed properly, gets you to a place where you are surrounded by only the things that spark joy. So what happens when down the road your joy changes? Your maintenance strategy may be in need of a KonMari Lite. Today we’ll walk through scenarios where KonMari Lite is appropriate after your initial tidying journey comes to an end and how to approach this transition.
Note: We also discuss tidying maintenance in Spark Joy episode 41: How to Maintain a Tidy Home Post-KonMari
We want to hear from you! Tell us your burning tidying questions or share stories about how KonMari has impacted your life. Find us at www.sparkjoypodcast.com and click “Ask Spark Joy” to leave a question or comment for a chance to be featured on next week’s show.
Head over to Apple podcasts to subscribe and review the show, which helps us reach others along their tidying journeys.
To extend your tidying experience, you can join the Spark Joy Club! Visit sparkjoypodcast.com and click “Join the Club” to become a member of the Spark Joy Community or join us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
The strategies we cover are advanced, and should only be applied once you’ve reached a click point in your home. Everything has a place. Everything that crosses the threshold of your home sparks joy for you and you are a confident decision maker. This one of the many reasons why it’s so important to implement KonMari quickly and all at once the first round. As months or even years go by before completing the next clutter category vision may become a moving target and you may be at risk of taking two steps forward three steps back.
Are you just getting started with your tidying journey? Head over to Spark Joy Episode 1: KonMari 101 for the fundamentals.
Reasons why you may need to KonMari Lite
- If the vision of your ideal lifestyle or ideal living environment has changed significantly (See: Spark Joy Episode 5 | How to Visualize Your Ideal Lifestyle and Living Environment)
- When you invite someone into your home or send them a fond farewell as they move out
- If you are a parent of young children, you may need to KonMari Lite fairly regularly
- If the boundary of your space changes (See: Spark Joy Episodes 77 and 78)
KonMari Quick Tips:
- Keep tidying up on your radar by engaging with the tidying up community.
- KonMari your existing vision
- Take an overall joy inventory by category to determine which category of items are in most urgent need of a joy check
- Evaluate what sparks joy?
- If at any time during this process you feel like you’ve reached a tidying plateau, reach out to a KonMari Consultant (See: Spark Joy Episode 49 why hire a KonMari Consultant
We are pleased to introduce new members of the Spark Joy Club.
Joy Sparker: Katherine Ko
Joy Riser: Linda Paxston
Visit sparkjoypodcast.com and click “Join the Club” to become a member of the Spark Joy Community.
You can find Karin Socci at The Serene Home
You can find Kristyn Ivey at For the Love of Tidy